161ST AND RIVER AVENUE – Alright, enough is enough. Iâ€™ve taken it easy on you Mutt fans for many a rant. Iâ€™ve avoided rubbing your collective noses in it and Iâ€™ve scribed about the Giants, golf, The NFL and everything this side of the best shows on Lifetime versus Oxygen, but I feel I must chirp about my Yankees.
Iâ€™m always very realistic about their chances and always look for cracks in the armor (I still say corner outfield defense is a concern and what the H-E-double hockey sticks is going on with A.J. â€œI only perform in a contract yearâ€ Burnett.) but I have to admit Iâ€™m getting excited about this group. They are having fun and stepping on the necks of anyone that dares to give them an extra out. They are clearly the class of baseball and are finally built for the playoffs. In a short series they certainly will be challenged by the top starters of any one they face, but can any squad really match up with them? I think not!
Without further ado here are 5 things you absolutely MUST love about the New York Yankees.
5) Nick Swisher. Mr. Chemistry. Heâ€™s making it fun for everyone. He gets on base, gets big hits, and is just happy to be on the squad. He gives opposing managers fits as a switch hitter and stepped into a starting role seamlessly after Xavier Nady went down. The Scott Brosius of 2009.
4) Mark Teixeiraâ€™s glove. The offense is impressive, but expected. The D is making everyone in the infield better and making a gold glover out of Robinson Cano. There is no such thing as a bad throw to first.
3) Money well spent. If you are going to throw money around, at least make it worth it. No Carl Pavanos,Britt Burnses, or Ed Whitsons in this group despite Burnettâ€™s struggles. C.C. Sabathia is a horse even after Milwaukee did their best to destroy him.
2) Saavy pick ups. Eric Hinske, Jerry Hairston Jr., Chad Gaudin, and Sergio Mitre have done yeomanâ€™s work in fortifying the bench and back end of the rotation. Good work by Brian Cashman, hey Omar? Theyâ€™ll take a seat soon, but they have contributed in a big way.
1) Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada. Anyone want to have that Jose Reyes debate? Talk about Posadaâ€™s shoulder? Sabermatricians questioned Jeterâ€™s defense and all he did was work at his craft and shut everyone up. Posada is still the switch hitting catcher with power that every organization craves. I know even some of you Mutt fans have to give these guys some love. You know you want to!
Order has been restored!
Until next week,
Having picked The Titanson Thursday (you’re welcome) I feel confident the Cowboys will win and cover against the Yuckaneers and The Patriotswill shellac The Bills in a laugher.