NEW YORK, NY – With a storm that actually materialized coating NYC and the tri-state area, it’s a perfect opportunity to discuss Biggest Sports Snow Job: Controversial Curt Schilling
With all the kerfuffle that’s swirling in the snowflakes re steroids, PEDs and blood transfusions, many have weighed in on the recent Baseball Writers Association of America vote on inductees for Cooperstown. If you missed it, check out Cam James’ piece on it yesterday. He weighs in on Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, but left Curtis Montague Schilling out of the discussion. Let’s have a go, shall we? Very simply, Cunning Curt may say things that give you douche chills. You may think former D’Back is a Major League D’Bag. His stats, however, are
supposably supposedly what should get him in the Hall of Fame or not. He’s never been arrested. He’s never been under the shroud of drug use, didn’t bet on his sport while playing, and is married to the same women and has four kids. He is not in a political office making policy decisions, either. Sure, his letter to the #BWAA telling them to remove him from the ballot after not getting their nod last year didn’t help, but if your job is to cast a vote based on stats, then do so. Look at these:
- Orioles (1988-90), Astros (1991), Phillies (1992-2000), Diamondbacks (2000-03), Red Sox (2004-07)
- Career: 216-146 (.597 WL%), 3.46 ERA
- Career: 127 ERA+, 80.5 WAR (Wins Above Replacement)
- 3,116 career strikeouts, over 300 strikeouts three times
- Won 20 or more games three times
- Member of 3 World Series Champion teams
- 11-2 with 2.23 ERA in 19 postseason starts
- 2nd in Cy Young Award voting three times
Those numbers are strong. His performances in the postseason were superb. Forget the bloody sock, with the Phillies phacing elimination vs the Blue Jays in the 1993 World Series and his team coming off a heartbreaking 15-14 loss, he turned in a complete game, 5-hit shutout in a 147-pitch effort.
Here’s basically why he’s not in:
- Tweet about a transgender bathroom law in North Carolina
- Defending then Republican nominee Donald Trump, talking about admiring “gorgeous” children
- Quote “It’s said only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists. In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How’d that go?”
- Tweeting a picture of someone at a Trump rally wearing a shirt that said “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some assembly required.”
- Joining a chorus of personalities insinuating that the Clintons had something to do with Jeffrey Epstein’s suicide.
All reprehensible, certainly. But Free Speech allows also to speak our minds. Saying dopey or offensive things doesn’t land us in jail, and Schilling has broken no laws. How the Sam Hill is he not in a building whose criteria is about stats, not cheating and not being in jail for some heinous act?
It’s the the Sports Snow Job of snow jobs.
That’s it. Please feel free to leave your thoughts bellow re the above or anything else, including Ron Duguay playing tonsil hockey with COVID/cooties-carrying Sarah Palin or Canadian-born Brian Daboll coaching the Giants… And come back tomorrow for Grinding Ax Walt, who is hopefully minding his Frankenstein heart (surgically repaired) and NOT shoveling.